Help your cat age gracefully
When your cat was a kitten, you gave your cat toys to provide extra stimulation and excitement. During her prime years, you changed your cat's food to give her the right nutrition for her current stage of life. Now, during her golden years, help your cat age as gracefully as possible. These tips for senior cat care can do just that.
1. Lend a Paw for Grooming. Senior cats often slow down on grooming due to arthritis or exhaustion. This makes them feel uncomfortable; cats are meticulous animals and like to feel clean. Take time each day grooming your cat – brushing through mats, and trimming nails – to make her feel good about herself.
2. Make Time for Playtime. Your cat might appear to spend countless hours sleeping, and seem like she’d rather relax than play like a kitten, but the opposite is true. Even in their older years, cats need exercise and mental stimulation that playtime offers. Buy cat toys and treats, and offer at least 15 minutes a day of playtime to your cat. That lets your cat interact and bond with you. Playtime will keep her young at heart, regardless of age.
3. Make Medical House Calls. In general, cats hate going to the vet. As cats age, they get even more perturbed by these interruptions of their day-to-day lives. Regardless, regular vet visits are needed to maintain your cat's health. Find a vet who can make house calls, to give your aging cat the best care.
4. Pour Some Extra Water. Drinking water is one of the key factors in helping your cat to age gracefully. Aging cats can become dehydrated, forgetting to drink. As the owner, you must make a multitude of water sources available to your cat, to make sure that she consumes enough each day.
5. Provide Tender Loving Care. When all is said and done, one of the best ways to help your cat age gracefully is simply to shower her with a little TLC. No matter how old your cat gets, she enjoys your company, your presence and your adoration. Keep all of the above in high supply.
Helping your cat thrive as a senior pet is the best way to make the bond between the two of you stronger and last longer.
“Help Your Cat Age Gracefully” is provided by CatChannel.com with permission from I-5 Publishing, LLC, publishers of Dog Fancy and Cat Fancy publications. For the latest cat news, photos, entertainment and tips, check out CatChannel.com.
All statements and opinions in "Help Your Cat Age Gracefully" are the sole opinions of the I-5 Publishing, publishers of Dog Fancy and Cat Fancy publications and not those of CareCredit. The content is subject to change without notice and offered for informational use only. You are urged to consult with your individual medical provider with respect to any professional advice presented. Your participation in the presentation constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Interested in financing veterinary procedures?