10 important questions to consider during a cosmetic surgery consultation
Choosing to transform your look with cosmetic or reconstructive surgery is a major decision. As a patient, one of the most important things you can do to help ensure an optimal outcome is to learn as much as possible about the procedure and your care. This can help you make informed decisions about your health and cosmetic goals.
Since one of the first appointments you'll likely have will be with your cosmetic surgeon, it's important to select an experienced doctor you can trust. Below are 10 important questions to ask during your cosmetic surgery consultation.
- What are your skills, experience and credentials? Specifically, ask how many times he or she has performed this particular procedure. It's also a good idea to ask about the doctor's training and confirm that he or she is board-certified.
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure? Be sure to discuss your health history as well as your beauty objectives so your doctor can provide a customized plan to help you reach your goals.
- Where will the procedure take place? This is also a good opportunity to ask about other medical staff who may assist with the procedure as well as their qualifications.
- What happens during the procedure? The doctor should be able to explain in detail what to expect during every step of your procedure, including how long the procedure will last, what type of anesthesia will be used, and post-procedure instructions.
- How should I prepare for my procedure? For example, your doctor may not want you to eat anything for several hours prior to surgery. If you take daily medications or supplements, ask your doctor if you can take them the day of your procedure.
- What type of follow-up will I need? Ask the doctor about follow-up appointments, post-treatment instructions and any medications you may need during recovery.
- How soon can I expect to see results? Depending on your procedure it may take hours, days or even weeks. Also, ask how long you can expect the results to last.
- Are there any risks associated with this procedure? While every surgery involves a certain level of risk, your doctor should be able to explain any potential risks or side effects related to this specific procedure.
- How long is my expected recovery time? The answer can help you determine if you'll need to take time off from work and how soon you can expect to resume regular activities.
- Can I see before and after pictures of patients on whom you've performed similar procedures? This can give you a more realistic idea of what type of results to expect from your procedure.
During your initial surgery consultation, it's important to take time to discuss your health history, including any current and past medical conditions. Consider bringing the above list of questions to your appointment, along with anything else you'd like to discuss with your doctor as you begin to prepare for your cosmetic procedure.
Remember that you can use your CareCredit credit card to pay for your procedure in convenient monthly payments at participating CareCredit provider locations.* Use our Acceptance Locator or CareCredit Mobile App to find a local provider who accepts the CareCredit credit card.