Interested in financing LASIK & Vision procedures?
Tired, itchy eyes, blurry vision and trouble focusing can all be signs of digital eye strain. Some of the most common culprits include staring at computers and other digital devices while you read, write and watch your favorite shows. With back-to-school season in full swing, now is the perfect time to be aware of the causes of digital eye strain and the preventive steps you can take to maintain healthy eyes for yourself and your entire family.
Try these 8 simple steps to reduce your risk of digital eye strain:
- Position yourself an arm's length away from screens for optimal viewing distance
- Adjust your lighting by minimizing surrounding bright light; close blinds to reduce outside light, and turn down overhead lights or use low wattage light bulbs to reduce indoor light
- Set the brightness, text size and color on your display settings to your comfort level
- Try the 20-20-20 method: Every 20 minutes, take a 20 second break from staring at the screen and focus on something 20 feet away
- Take frequent breaks to give your eyes — and your brain — a chance to rest
- Blink often to keep your eyes moist and to prevent dryness and irritation
- Schedule a comprehensive eye exam and let your vision care provider know how much time you spend in front of digital screens
- Consider switching to eyewear with digital eyestrain reducing capabilities, especially if you wear contact lenses, progressive lenses or bifocals
Have you scheduled your annual eye exam? It's the ideal time to discuss any vision changes with your vision care provider, who can examine your eyes, answer questions and offer additional tips and solutions to relieve digital eye strain. Remember that your CareCredit credit card can help cover expenses remaining after insurance coverage.* Use the Provider Locator to find a provider near you who accepts your CareCredit card.
CareCredit provides information solely for your convenience. Please always consult with a physician on any medical decisions. This content is subject to change without notice and offered for informational use only. You are urged to consult with your individual business, financial, legal, tax and/or other advisors and/or medical providers with respect to any information presented. CareCredit, Synchrony and any of its affiliates (collectively, "Synchrony") make no representations or warranties regarding this content and accept no liability for any loss or harm arising from the use of the information provided. Your receipt of this material constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
"Computer Eye Strain: 10 Steps for Relief," by Gary Heiting, OD, and Larry K. Wan, OD, All About Vision, http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm, accessed June 24, 2017
"Digital Eye Strain," The Vision Council, https://www.thevisioncouncil.org/content/digital-eye-strain, accessed June 22, 2017